Friday, August 12, 2011

sleep tight...and confined

For a creating writing class, back in high school, we were asked to write a structure poem. We needed to place the words in our poems in very distinct patterns so the form of the poem matched the expressions in your poem. I wrote this:

Uncomfortable



IHAT

ESLE

EPIN

GINA

SLEE


PING

BAG!

Last spring I moved into a new apartment, with new roommates, and a new bedroom that made Harry Potter's under the stairs cupboard look like a master suite. I decided that I had to downgrade from my queen sized bed to a single, allowing some floor room to walk around.


I am a 27 year old women. I am a large lady. I am a 5'9 taller than average female. I sleep with pointed toes hanging off the bottom of my mattress and the tip of my head hanging off the top. I am also a sleeper that dares not to have any toe, knee cap, finger, or arm hang off the bed, into the vast dark abyss of the bedroom where the bedtime creatures could grab me, so all night I am confined on a 3'x6' cushy coffin.

I hate sleeping on my bed. It is uncomfortable and suffocating. I am trying, so badly, to afford the queen sized Malm bed frame and mattresses from IKEA. I dream of the leg room. I yearn for the movie nights, to be able to snug up with someone else. I crave being able to sleep with an elbow above my head without hitting my funny bone on the wall. It is time that I have an adult sized bed. It's time for me to be able to stretch as my heart contents. Its time for me to have a cool side of the pillow again...ahhh, the cool side of a pillow...how I have missed that sweet smelling, face comforting, gentle play in my hair from the chill thin air that washes over me and blows away any smoggy nightmares that may be looming.

Keep you fingers crossed for me that I can get a new bed soon. Because if I can't, I have a feeling that I will have some more broken dreams...and elbows.

1 comment:

Lera said...

Good luck. We just replaced our horrible mattress, with a not-so-high end mattress, and it was still super EXPENSIVE! I don't relate to the needing room (I always sleep curled up at the very edge of the bed), but I'm sure Greg could. He is a bed hog and likes to sprawl out. I am a cover hog though, so I guess we all have our ways we prefer to sleep.

Oh, and thanks for being the only one who comments on my blog lately. You're always there for me, even virtually. ;)