Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday is a special day…


Today is cleaning day.  And, man, do I need to clean. I’ve been in school for only 2 weeks and I’m already falling behind on my old routines.  I used to clean up the apartment every day after work, it was a way to relax after stressing all day about things I can’t change in the office.  I did 1 load of laundry every other day.  I took the trash out before company arrived. My bed sheets were in the washer every Saturday morning.  I took long bathes every Sunday morning.  I cleaned my fridge out every Saturday morning.  I’ve kind of turned into an old lady, and I loved my little life.  I love my life now, too.  School is changing how I do things, and change is good- until the fridge starts to smell every time you open it. 

I’ve declared this Saturday “Cleaning Day”, and as a treat I get to see Divergent at the theaters with my friend Gibbs later on.  (We had a “who can exercise the most in one month” bet: Whomever exercised the least had to pay for a movie night for the winner.  I’m paying tonight. Ha ha)

I also wanted to update my blog with the things I’ve learned over the past 2 weeks at school:

Reflexology techniques

Everyone has body issues.  I have 9 toes and a monster sized scar that wraps from the front of my foot, to the back; all from a tractor mowing accident when I was 7.  1992 -Navarre, OH, population approximately 1,000…and I wonder if that may have included tractors.  Anyways, my missing toe was stressing me out, so was the scar on my spine, my weight, my pastiness, my facial acne, my moles, and my entire body really.  I felt very self-conscious; little did I know that others felt this way too.  Everyone has their quarks.  Of course, there are the ridiculously beautiful people out there that have somehow bypassed the “awkward stage” in life, and for some reason, they are still hesitant about stripping down to their skins and laying down on a table so another armature student practitioner can drape sheets up and down their body, ever so close to personal “no go zones”.  Even while we are practicing foot massage, I am the one with the odd foot, yet my partner refused to remove her socks from what I guessed, and later discovered, perfect feet.  Us Humans, we are a weird breed.

Massage is 50% body work and 50% laundry.

Good hygiene is a must, for everyone!

Undressing, dressing, and turning under a twin sheet when you are the size of that said sheet is ridiculously hard- add in a bad leg with nerve damage and an inflexible spine…catastrophe.

Every class I’ve had to do with massage, my teacher (the cutest women in the world) has given me a wonderful compliment about my skill in massage.  Thursday she pulled me aside and told me that every once in a while she has a star-student that is a natural at everything they learn, that they feel completely comfortable with people and they know how to massage from day 1- and that I was that person.  I wanted to cry, granted I’m very sleep deprived, but it meant so much to me.

Anatomy is hard.  There are wayyy to many words to memorize.  It was a miracle I got a 100% on my first test. 

Massage Therapy is all about compassionate love for mankind and their wellbeing, plus tips.

I feel completely comfortable massaging all body types, genders, and I feel comfortable and confident while working.  When someone is on my table the only thing I feel is kindness and I have a sincere wish to help them.

When you work full time and go to night school sleep is put on hold until Friday nights/the weekends. Friday’s are my busiest days at work, I dread them.  Yesterday was a crap storm of trouble and when I got home, I didn’t care about going out or making plans with someone.  I took a 4 hour nap, watched New Girl, ate chips and homemade salsa from my potluck at work, and then went to bed at 11.

I love my family very much.  I think about them all the time.  When I’m at work I miss being with them. When I’m at school, I’m excited to share the things I’m learning with them.  I had a dream that I was giving Lera a pregnancy massage last night. haha!  She is not pregnant, not that I know of anyways ;), yet I’m dreaming about helping them in the future with these fabulous professional tools I’m adding to my belt.

People are very different.  I will be in this same class of people the entire time I’m in school.  Some of them I adore, some I respect, and some have personalities that I would not naturally migrate to.  I appreciate them all, and they help me every time we are together to know what type of business I want to run and how to understand and appreciate different walks of life.

My hips and lumbar spine hurt!  Sitting for 11.5 hours 4 days a week is hard. 

Giving a massage = Working out – I’m trying very hard to eat better and incorporate more exercise in my life so I physically meet my plans professionally.

The majority of people that hear about my education path volunteer for free massages. J  In school, the students practice on each other.  I’m hoping that later in the year I can do free massages at home for homework- and I will definitely take advantage of people’s offers.  I also hope they are feeling equally generous when I am building my clientele.

There is a lot to learn over the next year.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Your mom always gave wonderful "hand massages", I wonder if you got the talent from her. I know you got your gift of caring for others from your mom and it is a wonderful gift that she gave you. When are ready to practice on me, let me know, (I will tip you well).

Allyson said...

You will be great. Full time work and school are hard, but I know you will love it. Who is your anatomy teacher? I loved anatomy class with Tori. You will be great!

Lera said...

So glad you are happy and doing so well! I've always known that you were a natural at massage, glad your instructors see it too. And no, I'm definitely not pregnant!

Rie Pie said...

I have Kory this term, and I love the way he teaches! :)