Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Work is a necessary evil to be avoided." -Mark Twain


Oh, the ways work can impact our lives. I have many jobs that have all been in customer service. And each job has just been a horse of a different color. I'm nice to the customer. They get what they want. I'm mean to the customer. They get what they want from someone else. Sometimes I cry or yell or throw things - it doesn't matter. Every customer service job is the same. It always ends in kissing some body's rear end - then they get what they want.

Luckily, I have really enjoyed some of my jobs. I have worked with amazing people. I have had some life changing experiences.

In a really geeky show that I love (cough) Firefly (cough) there is a man that is talking about his job and the way it makes him act. Then he finds out later in the show that he took his job because of the way he already was.

I think everyone should think really think about this. We are all in work that is about us in some way. It can propel our personality to be stronger more defined. It allows us to learn more about ourselves. Such as, "I like doing this" or "There isn't enough money in the world to make me do that again"

Looking back on my personal job trek, I find myself surprised by the way it's helped me become who I am today. Not that I didn't have my personality before them but they helped me become more defined.

Nanny- I love children. I want to be a mother. I feel compassionate. I'm impatient. I enjoy reading stories. I think parents should take a stand and grow up. I think that children learn by example. I'm goofy. I care about hygiene and germs. I love toys. I laugh. I like to cook. Cleaning up after someone else is exhausting.

The E Center Box Office- I like people. I love going to concerts. I love getting discounts. I like noise. I am loud. I am generous. I am computer savvy. I like to party. I hate public restrooms

Hollywood Connections- Kids are fun to entertain. Kids never listen. I hate cleaning bathrooms. I want a manager that knows more than me. I want to learn. I want to play games. I hate carnival music.

Shopko- I love to shop. I love Black Friday. I want to buy everything that I don't need. I spend a lot of money on food. I love black pants. Magazines are amazing. I like to work in the garden. I'm protective of lost children. I'm a flirt.

Blockbuster- I am a movie junkie. I love to talk about media. Actor gossip is entertaining to me. I love knowing movie endings before others see them. I love trailers. I am a marathon women. I think stay at home dates are the best. People in movie stores are artistic. I'm a quoter. I love the night life.

SLCC Cosmetology- I love fashion. I am creative. I'm good at measurements. I like to study. I enjoy social gatherings. I like to fold warm laundry. I love the sound of water. I like to complement others. I like to do things right the first time. I think vanity is ugly.

Seagull Book and Tape- I'm a book worm. I give opinions to others. I help plan. I know how to decorate. I love talk tapes. I want to be spiritually feed. I love doctrine. I think old women are funny. I love having my books signed. I love hearing about peoples reading experiences.

Kohl's- I wear nice perfume. I hate balancing. I'm annoyed by teenage boys. I'm not a work-a-holic. I worry about stupid details.

FedEx Systems- I'm not a telephone talker. I like things to be taken care of. I like people that own up to their responsibilities. I'm very loud. I love photos of Friends and family. I keep mementos. I'm a rude driver. I like to type. I hate being micromanaged. I love having a fixed schedule. I like knowing where I stand.

Writer- I get stumped easily. I like to go on rampages. I like alone time. I'm in control. I love wit. I like to be poetic. I love to have crazy ideas. I like being original.

(OK, so I've never been paid to write, but I'm still a writer. My other jobs might have made my personality stronger but I found myself in writing.)






1 comment:

Lera said...

Okay, you are so kickin' my butt on the NaBloPoMo in overall posting quality and creativity. Another fantastic post! I've never thought about all that I've gained from my jobs. I surely will be considering this today.