Friday, July 22, 2011

God’s Country


I was lucky to be able to spend Memorial Day and the Forth of July in what I call ‘God’s Country’ or aka Idaho. I love Idaho. It is becoming a fast rising favorite of vacation locations.

Memorial Day Annie and I went up to Idaho for the three day weekend. It was lovely to be able to spend the time with her entire immediate family. They are all so awesome. I laughed a ton and I really enjoyed getting away for a distressing vacation. Annie and I went to her Grandma’s gravesite on the way home; it was such a tender moment in our friendship. It was lovely to be able to take some time away and enjoy the fresh air. It rained a lot this weekend and it made the skies beautiful shades of white to purple-grey against the emerald green mountains. That skyline, upon leaving Idaho, is one of my favorite views in the world.

Fourth of July we went back up to Idaho, this time I caravanned behind Annie and Renny Cyr. This weekend was a much quieter one for me than Memorial. Annie, Renny and I went down town and looked through the tiny personal shops and took some pictures by the Idaho Falls temple. Later everyone went up to a fair in Driggs, ID, where as I spent my time in the Rexburg temple and then in Rexburg just enjoying the scenery. I took some pictures, took time by myself to think, and went on a really lovely drive. I got home pretty late and then everyone else returned shortly. I slept a ton this weekend and realized how tired I was from all of the doctor’s visits, work stresses, and emotional drama that has been happening. It was so nice to just relax. The Forth of July is my favorite holiday. I didn’t see any fireworks this year because I ended up driving home on the 4th and crashed when I got home.

Some of my favorite things about Idaho:
Its Green mountains seem to surround and roll across the landscape. The perfectly manicured fields of grains, vegetation, and flowers pattern the rich earth. The skies seem to be full of continuous fluffy clouds that slide beautifully through the sun’s rays. The air is cleaner, the people nicer, and the birds seem to chirp in a more sing-song way than in Utah.
The Munk Clan. The members in Annie’s family are more adorable and lovelier than the next. I always feel welcome, appreciated, and valued. I know I can be myself and that is all they expect. They are some of the most generous, Christ-like, and talented people I’ve ever met. They are a great example of a strong family that love and support each other through the good times, trials, and hardships. I love them all.
The Munk’s home; every room is clean, full of family photo’s, and gospel infused art/teachings. I feel calm there. I feel the peaceful spirit. I feel comfortable.
I love the Rexburg temple, the celestial room is the most beautiful that I have seen yet. I had such an amazing experience while I was in those sacred walls and it made me want to become a temple worker. It was a beautiful moment.
The bike. (As shown above.)
The Idaho Falls temple, I plan on going to it on my next Idaho trip.
Tiny shops and cafes that are sprinkled all over town.
The Sandwich Tree deli and the Reeds Dairy that has some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had. Hello snicker-doodle!!
How far away it is from everything lively, loud, and quickly entertaining.

Some of the things I could do without:
The never-ending popping noises that the huge bugs make as they smack into my car like gooey exploding bullets; leaving corpse-y marks that no squidgy, paper towel or high-powered car wash can remove.
The bugs in general.
When the air sometimes smells like cows…or cow pies.
The fact that it takes hours to get there…or else I would be there every weekend.
No good Mexican food anywhere.
My family isn’t a 10 minute drive away.
How far away it is from everything lively, loud, and quickly entertaining.

No comments: