Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My bedroom...

My room is full of the colors brown, teal, and tan/khaki. The furniture is all a deep brown wood, the carpet teal, and the walls are painted two-tone tan and chocolate brown.

Starting clockwise from the door.

A wooden vanity that my oldest sister handed down to me. It is jam packed with jewelry, so jammed packed that I can rarely keep the doors on it shut. Above the vanity is a framed "proclamation to the world" bordered with pictures of temples by some very loved friends for my Christmas present.

My double doored closet. Filled with clothes on hangers and "dedicates" in little canvas totes. One empty wicker basket kept for dirty laundry until Wednesday nights when I wash them all. Totes full of shoes, cosmetology stuff, gifts, and re-gifts. Notepads and files of poetry and boxes of purses waiting to be lined up with my next outfit. Photo albums neatly arranged on both sides of a too large glass jar full of colorful scarves sitting dustily on the lower shelf. Suitcases, full of memorabilia and smaller case full of beads and jewelery tools for my next creations, on the top shelf. Towels folded, rolled and tucked on top for easy convenience, all sorted by size. Some where is half of a dead spider that I killed last week and was too freaked out to look for the remains. I know that it is half-corpsing around somewhere making a home and mutant babies.

My black DVD bookcase. The only black furniture left over from my last bedroom decorating scheme. Only 3 rows separating the towering DVD stacks. Shelves have been removed and stacked behind the bookcase to make room for even more movies. Atop is my perfume box. Made by my sister Lera and filled with all sizes and colors of delicious bottles. Two picture frames; One of my best friend Shannon and a companion that she had in the MTC, and a picture of the late President Hinkley smiling in a gentleman's hat. A mold of my parents tender clasped hands, forever touching and holding each other and probably the most looked at item in my room.

Bare space of wall with a framed picture of my current Roomies, London and her lovely family. Under this is a wooden vase full of spongy willows. A returning gift from my best friends mission.

My small hand-me-down book case that used to hold my dad's shoes. Scuff marks are now covered by often read books. Starting in my Twilight collections (I own two of each, so I can lend one and read the other.), in the middle my Barnes and Noble classics, and ending in my Harry Potter series. Above the case is my first window. The ledge under my window has a picture of me and some old roommates making stupid faces, my two oldest nephews, a Scensty candle warmer, and my mother's jewelry box which is full of beautiful trinkets that were hers and my Granny's.

My dresser, full of electronics, paper, yarn, cleaning supplies, and a ton of CD's. Absolutely no clothes anywhere in these hand painted drawers. Atop is a 32 inch TV that likes to turn off and make freaky noises on it's own accord. Atop the TV is a wooden fish that "swam" here from Thailand. Beside the monster telly is a DVD/VCR combo. Atop with ceramic leaves and candles. on the wall behind the candles is a picture of my family that was taken about 2 1/2 years ago. All of us wearing neutral colors and happy smiles.

The next window and decorated ledge stand on the other side of the dresser. Sitting happily is a pitcher of Orange African Daisies (that I won at a bunco party) and decorative spheres made out of seashells at the base. (which were a thank you gift from Lera.) Near the two textures spheres is a small hand painted Thai dish from Shannon for Christmas. On the other side is a very large sweating glass of ice water with a blue and white striped straw.

Partially under this window ledge is the foot of my bed, where I am currently sitting on a satin teal and brown florished bed comforter. This queen sized bed hits the other wall and connects the room. 600 thread count embroidered egyption sheets lay smoothly over the lip of the comforter. Four pillows, one for my head and three to take up the entire right side when I sleep, are now piled neatly at the top of the bed. Under the bed are totes and boxes of more books, gift wrap, and games.

A wooden nightstand with one drawer and one shelf sits next to my bed. The shelf holds my scriptures and a note pad for random sleepy thoughts about writing. The drawer is full of ear plugs, an empty journal, and old remotes. On top is a small lamp, a candle in a flower pot, and a battery operated alarm clock that is set for 5:53 AM because I hate waking up to even numbers.

On the bare wall after the night stand is a mirror framed in Celtic knotting. Tucked in the crease between the frame and the glass is a sticker, never peeled, that I got from a random geeky girl at a book signing stating "I <3 hot guys with super powers and fangs!!" I don't know why it is still there but it just made me laugh.


Now you are back at the door that you started on, but on this side you can see a permanent marker scribble that was given to me from my "artistic" nephew Trevor.

1 comment:

Lera said...

Great post. I can just image your room as I read it. I have no idea how you fit so much stuff in such a small space! I will spare everyone the detail of my bedroom... dirty laundry all over the floor and all. BTW - I posted the video of God's Pottery. You must check it out.