Friday, May 8, 2009

You've got mail.

This is not just a cute movie with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, this is the thing that many people look forward to everyday... Their email inbox of goodies.

But not me, my friend. After working as an email jockey for almost 4 years I am tired of the inbox and it's demonic glow of black and white. I am stuck in front of a computer for 8 hours every week day and I've started to write at home too. Which means a lot of one on one time with my new HP at work and homework with my Sony Vaio.



At work alone I have 4 inboxes. That isn't including the 6 other's that I can watch when other's call in sick. At home I have 3 inboxes. Face book, My space, and Hotmail. You guys, I'm really trying my best.

Today I got a voice mail from a good friend telling me that she sent me an email and that she knew that I didn't like to go through them, and then over the phone, she said what the email was about. To me that seemed like a lot of extra work for her.

I realized that I need to get on the ball. I opened my Hotmail account and low and behold the demonic number of 983 emails in my inbox slapped me in the face. I'm really sorry but I have to say I read the one that I already heard about on the phone and then I did something I should have done forever ago. I pressed delete.

I deleted 983 emails today, and I'm pretty sure with my day at work, I can count at least an even 1,000 emails.

I'm sorry if your emails were deleted and you wanted me to read them. But it had to be done. Today was a declaration to all junk emails everywhere. You helped stop the silence to every spam, coupon, weight losing, credit card bill, ebay watch list, and face book update emails. The casualty of your email was necessary. It helped me to tell all clutter to GET LOST.

*I'm starting a new. I am going to get my email under control. I'm going to reply to my friends. The computer will not control me any longer. Today is the start of my peace treaty with inboxes across the globe.

Oh, and I'll start answering my phone too.
*If I can remember to turn it on...

3 comments:

Alice said...

Nice. I too once pushed delete on my inbox because I felt overwhelmed :) I had to get a new e-mail so that I could have a "junk e-mail" and my normal e-mail, not that I am really suggesting a new inbox in your life, but it is easier to manage? Good luck my friend.

p.s. I love "You've got Mail"- love it :)

Sam said...

OMG! I am soooooo excited you left a comment on my blog! I am excited to go back and see yours. I am excited to keep up with what is going on in your life!!!!

Barb said...

I just love reading your pieces, they make Dave and I laugh and nod in agreement. You really need your own paper column... Love you -