Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The many emotions of Winter


Last week it snowed for the first time near my house. I wanted to blog that day, but it turned out to be a very busy one.

So on a non snowy day, I blog. There are many feelings that surround me in the Winter season. I actually hate snow and ice and all of the horrible things a winter storm brings. However, I do love the holidays.
I love getting together with my family and doing festive things. I love baking for loved ones. I love seeing the clearances on fall clothes. I love the mayhem of Black Friday and the crazy people (including me) that shop it. I love that night time comes early. I love that one day we all get an extra hour of sleep. I thrive for clear night sky's and thin air that slides the whole way into your lungs. I love seeing little kids in huge coats. I love seeing old women in ridiculous home made hats.
Here is a list of my Winter emotions.

ANNOYED- Feeling random clumps of snow in my shoes, on my car seat, down the back of my shirt, in my hair, and in my purse. I hate when dirty gutter rain falls on my face and on my arms as I enter under the porch shelter - thinking I would be safe from the elements as I enter the house.

TIRED- I haven't had shelter over my car as long as I can remember. This leaves the need to wake up 30 minutes early to scrape and heat up the car.

HURT- Ow! I fell and really hurt my backside/knees/palms. I wish I wasn't so clumsy. I've always been envious of the kids that run and slide on the snow. Who needs ski's when you have grace.

EMBARRASSED- I fell again.

STRESSED- Shopping for those I love, trying to find the perfect thing for each individual person.

HUMBLED- The festival of trees is always one of my favorite nights of the year. There are so many of the trees that touch my heart or remind me of things I'm grateful for.

HAPPY- I love lights on houses and Christmas music in the stores and cars.

ENTERTAINED- Shopping for those I love, trying to find the perfect thing for each individual person.

GRATEFUL- To think about the birth of Christ and be able to celebrate. “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”

POETIC- When the sky is a willing mirror reflecting a white hue from the fallen snow, lighting every night with a glow. It looks like moon light found a way to never be shadowed. Every year of my adult life I choose a night and take a midnight walk. I love the complete silence of crisp air. The silhouettes of dark blue trees line my path as I enjoy the ambiance. My skin, a perfect alabaster.

4 comments:

Lera said...

Beautiful! I think this is my favorite post ever. I loved reading each and every part of it.

You NEED to do NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) and post once a day to make the internet a happier place. :)

Sam said...

awwww that is so dang precious! I have the same feelings of snow. I hate the ice, the driving, the cold, the wetness but I think it is the most beautiful thing god has given us. You are truely an artist with your words. Thanks for sharing that with us!

The Rookie said...

Loveliness. This made me smile, dearie.

Winter isn't all bad. Especially now that I know I won't be shoveling or scraping off my car each morning. Oh, how I love the perks of my new apartment!

Lisa said...

I too loved this post. You are so awesome and I agree with a lot of your emotions. And yes, daily blogging is a must for November, I am going with the Thankful list. I am thankful for you.
Love ya Rie