Thursday, November 26, 2009

love and letters



One of my favorite things in the world is love letters. I remember while I was growing up my Mom and Dad would always leave a letter for each other. My dad would get home from work and read Mom's letters and then he would write one of his own at the bottom of the page. Then when she would wake up, she'd read how his day was. Their letters where always signed with the XO at the bottom. An "I love you" was also normally written somewhere on the page. Simple. Powerful. I remember thinking how amazing my parents were. Something tangible of how their love didn't falter.

When I was in High School I read about a house in Verona, Italy, claiming to be the Capulets' home. The side view shows the famous balcony where Romeo compared his Juliet to the Sun. In the small courtyard, a bronze statue of Juliet baring her breast. There is a legend that if a person strokes the breast of the statue, that person will have good fortune in love.

Do you notice how shiny her right breast and arm from the tourists touching and hugging her. Behind her on the stone walls are tons of love letters that are hung from the tourists that have visited the spot.

Going to this courtyard is on the "must do in my life" list. I am in awe of this romantic spot and I hope that someday soon I can visit, see, and feel this amazing place. I hope that until then, Juliet Capulet will still send some fortune my way.

1 comment:

Lera said...

I cherish the memory of Mom and Dad's letters too, so sweet!

I saw on the news that you can get married on this balcony now. It cost a fortune though.