Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fairy Tales



I truly am a sucker for fairy tales. I remember growing up in Ohio, sitting on my little chicken stool watching The Little Mermaid over and over. I wanted to be Ariel as she walked out of the ocean in her sparkly slinky dress. When I was in the hospital, waiting for my foot to heal, I watched as Aurora woke up after the worst day of her life to her prince kissing her softly. I smiled when Belle read to Beast in his majestic library. I had a tear in my eye when the Nation of China all bowed to Mulan, as they recognized the women who saved them.

I really enjoy Shannon Hales beautifully written novels. Her books are youth readers that are extremely easy to read and completely original. She gives a brand new spin for fairy tales that have delicious multi-layered stories to her characters. I love reading her lyrical vocabulary that seams to weave throughout her writing. Her novel, Princess Academy, didn't let me down.

Young Miri was born premature and grew up unable to be normal in a village full of laborers. Miri is shocked when her small village finds out that some girl among them will be the future princess. All eligible girls must attend princess academy to prepare for a royal life. Miri is confused by which life is meant for her; a royal life where she might fit in but is unknown or a hard worker's life in a village that she loves.

I have also read "Book of a Thousand Days" (my favorite Shannon Hale) were a young maid named Dasti helps her princess find her fairy tale ending. Dasti is surprised to also be going through her own love story.

I love these types of stories and I hope that I can read many more. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

1 comment:

Lera said...

Awww... I remember how much you loved Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty. You are a princess!