Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Random Beloved Poem

Why is being single such an embarrassing thing? My sister Lera said that she heard some very prominent LDS women give talks and that during their talks they spoke of how hard it is to be single. No one laughed at them. They weren't judged and pointed at. They didn't have to stand on a pedestal under a spot light and be ridiculed. They were open about the hardships of single hood. I'm sure in that openness they were able to find some Peace in the trial.

I personally feel embarrassed; Like I've done something wrong or I'm not good enough. I've built these protective layers around me that let people think that I'm happy being single.
My close friends and family know that this is not the case, but there would never be a situation that I could stand in front of others and tell them my true feelings about it.

Why is this??

Because I have a fear of public speaking I've decided to blog about my feelings. Nothing could say exactly what I feel more than this beautiful poem by Maya Angelou.

Touched by An Angel

We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.

Love arrives
and in its train come ecstasies
old memories of pleasure
ancient histories of pain.
Yet if we are bold,
love strikes away the chains of fear
from our souls.

We are weaned from our timidity
In the flush of love's light
we dare be brave
And suddenly we see
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

1 comment:

Lera said...

What an honest and lovely post. It is hard; I remember. And I remember being embarrassed that it was hard for me. I remember having to act like it was a choice and not a trial. So sorry you have to go through this. You deserve to be with an amazing someone. Love you!

I'm glad you were able to get something from my small recap. Next year we are going together for sure!